Associate Vice President for Convention News Full Time
SBC Executive CommitteeActive
The Associate Vice President for Convention News functions as director and editor of all content released through Baptist Press and the Convention news area of Executive Committee ministry. He/she is responsible for maintaining an awareness of news developments; preparing the daily line-up of news and feature stories, columns, and news digests for each day’s news cycle; communicating news about the Convention and its cooperating state conventions, associations, ethnic fellowships, and churches; and publishing other news and information of interest to Baptists. He/she coordinates and reviews news releases from or about SBC entities, serves as the Convention’s press representative to the Association of State Baptist Publications, and coordinates news operations for the SBC annual meeting. Working in a collaborative environment, he/she is responsible to assign news articles to staff and other writers, review headlines, determine and post selected Baptist Press articles and columns to social media, and manage the appearance and functionality of online content.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership for Baptist Press daily content in accord with the bylaws of the Executive Committee, the mission statement of the EC office of communications, and the EC’s Baptist Press.
- Provide editorial direction/coordination to Baptist Press central office staff, communications offices of other SBC entities, contributing writers at state Baptist papers, and freelance correspondents.
- Develop, maintain a close working relationship with, and provide leadership in representing Baptist Press to communications representatives of the SBC missions and ministry entities and the Convention’s auxiliary, as well as communications representatives of cooperating state Baptist conventions, members of the Association of State Baptist Publications, and representatives of outside like-minded evangelical groups.
- Coordinate operations for all facets of the Baptist Press newsroom at the SBC annual meeting (news, photojournalism, videography, and press conferences) and the annual SBC preview package of stories released each Spring.
- Coordinate Baptist Press coverage of cooperating state Baptist convention annual meetings.
- Seek to expand the reach of Baptist Press through traditional and social media.
- Work with the vice president for communications for matters relating to Baptist Press editorial, operations, budgeting, and technology.
- Provide oversight for various Baptist Press activities and operations, such as monthly staff development meetings, BP en Español, weekly Bible study feature with Lifeway, news digests, and other features.
- Edit news and feature stories and supervise editing by fellow Baptist Press staff members.
- Accept and perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Communications.
- Membership in a cooperating Southern Baptist church and a lifestyle that displays a growing relationship with Christ
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, or similar field; master’s degree preferred
- A minimum of 8-10 years of work experience in journalism or communications; religious setting preferred
- Experience creating, implementing and succeeding with detailed editorial plans for long-term goals and short-term initiatives
- An understanding of the Southern Baptist Convention, its ministries and its purpose
- Ability to create and edit written and visual content
- Relocation to Nashville required
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org