Lead Pastor Full Time
Charis Community ChurchActive
Charis Community Church of Bloomington-Normal, Illinois is currently seeking a new lead pastor
as our current pastor is being sent to plant a new church in the spring of 2023.
Charis was planted 15 years ago by a core group of believers with a burden for a
gospel-centered, church planting, disciple-making ministry. We are affiliated with the Acts 29
network and the Southern Baptist Convention. Our average Sunday morning attendance is 180,
and includes a vibrant ministry for children and youth. Weekly discipleship occurs through our
Gospel Community groups.
We are located in Central Illinois in a community which has a combined population of roughly
150,000. It is home to two major universities; Illinois State University and Illinois Wesleyan
University, as well as a community college, and solid public and parochial school options. Home
to State Farm Insurance, Rivian Automotive, and two hospitals, we have a growing economy
that offers diverse and well paying jobs.
Our ideal candidate will have experience developing disciples and exhibit strong leadership
qualities to work collaboratively with other elders, staff and ministry leaders. He should
demonstrate a strong emphasis on gospel-centered preaching and a willingness to promote
church planting efforts. The candidate will be in agreement with our affiliations, including Acts
29’s Five Distinctives, the Baptist Faith and Message, the Gospel Coalition’s Statement of Faith,
and be willing to go through the Acts 29 assessment process.
Interested applicants should complete Part 1 Application document (Attached) with a resume, cover letter and link to two sermon videos and email all materials no later than October 15, 2022 to:
Secretary Charis Pastoral Search Team
Charis Community Church is seeking a Lead Pastor who will lead the church in fulfilling our mission of being a Gospel-Centered, Disciple-Making, Church-Planting church through prayer, preaching, vision-casting, and shepherding.
▪ The Lead Pastor must meet the character qualifications of an Elder outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-12 and Titus 1:5-9. He is accountable to a plurality of elders. He will serve alongside the Elders to lead the church to fulfill our unique vision and values.
▪ The Lead Pastor must model a mature, growing, vibrant, personal relationship with Jesus Christ through an active prayer life, a saturation in God’s Word, and a sensitivity to the Holy Spirit’s leading.
▪ The Lead Pastor must be able to work collaboratively with other elders/staff/ministry leaders in the church.
▪ The Lead Pastor must have a desire and demonstrated skill in shepherding God’s people reflective of the characteristics outlined in 1 Peter 5:1-4.
▪ The Lead Pastor must have demonstrated skill and experience in gospel-centered expository Bible teaching/preaching, leadership, shepherding, and discipleship.
▪ The Lead Pastor must be excited to continue our church’s existing partnerships with the Acts 29 church planting network, the Central Illinois Church Planting Network, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
▪ The Lead Pastor must be willing to go through the Acts 29 assessment process, once hired. (https://www.acts29.com/whats-involved/)
▪ The Lead Pastor must affirm The Gospel Coalition’s Statement of Faith (https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/about/foundation-documents/)
▪ The Lead Pastor must affirm Acts 29’s Five Distinctives (https://www.acts29.com/about-us/distinctives/)
▪ The Lead Pastor must affirm the Baptist Faith & Message 2000 (https://bfm.sbc.net/)
Responsibilities and Expectations:
▪ Oversee the Christ-Centered, expository teaching/preaching ministry of Charis. He will be the primary preacher while providing opportunities for other gifted elders and leaders to preach.
▪ Oversee church planting partnerships and initiatives.
▪ Work towards training up godly, humble, Christ-centered leaders, elders, and church planters.
▪ Oversee the various elements of the Sunday morning worship gathering.
▪ Develop and lead our staff and elder teams in a Christ-like, servant-oriented way.
▪ Shepherd the members and families of our church in a pattern consistent
with 1 Peter 5:1-4 through regular contact, counseling, and care.
▪ Value and demonstrate servant-leadership consistent with Mark 10:42-45.
▪ Provide leadership to Charis by casting vision in line with our mission and values.
▪ Value and demonstrate an ability to minister to a wide variety of people consistent with 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 and with our public mission statement (Whoever you are, wherever you’ve been, whatever you’ve done, we have good news for you.)
▪ Assist other elders, staff, and volunteers as needed in various ministries within the church.
▪ Devote time for prayer needs within the congregation.
▪ Model personal evangelism and hospitality.
Interested Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and link to two sermons (video) and completed questionnaire (below) and email to [email protected] no later than October 15, 2022
Charis Community Church Pastoral Application – Part 1
Thank you for your interest in Charis Community Church. Please submit responses to the questions below in a separate document to be emailed along with your cover letter, resume, and at least two sermon links to Search Committee secretary April Kinzinger: [email protected]
Date Submitted: Full Name: E-Mail:
1. Have you reviewed and can you affirm the following: If not, what points do you not affirm? a. The Gospel Coalition’s Statement of Faith – www.thegospelcoalition.org/about/foundation-documents/
b. Acts 29’s Five Distinctives – www.acts29.com/about-us/distinctives/
c. The Baptist Faith & Message 2000 – bfm.sbc.net/
2. Introduce us to yourself and your family. Where did you grow up, in what sort of family? If you
are not single, tell us about your wife and children.
3. Describe how and when you became a Christian.
4. Describe what the Gospel is.
5. Summarize any biblical and theological education as well as any degrees you have earned.
6. List your current church as well as your involvement there.
7. What is your view of the role of women in the church today?
8. What is your position on spiritual gifts, including healing, tongues, and prophecy?
9. Describe both your strengths and weaknesses in leadership.
10. What does evangelism look like in your life? Describe the last time you led someone to Christ as
11. What is your view on church discipline and have you ever seen this done within a church you
have led or attended?
12. Explain how your wife and family will be involved in this ministry.
13. As pastor of Charis Community Church, what role would you have in church-planting?
14. Describe your personal plan for reading and studying the Bible.
15. Briefly outline your views on the ordinance of communion. How often should a church observe
16. What is your view of baptism?
17. In what capacity have you led/shepherded people before? What makes a good shepherd?
18. How do you decide what to preach? What is your preferred style of preaching?
To apply for this job email your details to Aprilok9@gmail.com