Houston’s First Baptist Church HIGH SCHOOL PASTOR Full Time
Houston's First Baptist ChurchActive
Houston’s First Baptist Church
HIGH SCHOOL PASTOR
Weekly Attendance: 7750
Location: Houston, TX
The Role: High School Pastor
Meet Houston’s First Baptist Church:
Houston’s First is a thriving and diverse community of real people experiencing real life together. Sundays are a time where we gather together to grow and give of what we have, but our lives consist of much more than attending church on Sunday. We want to be the church every day of the week.
Houston’s First Baptist Church was founded in 1841 by foreign missionaries who had come from the United States of America to the sovereign Republic of Texas. The church has continued to be a place on mission from its humble roots.
Located in Downtown Houston until 1977, the church moved under the leadership of Pastor John Bisagno to what is now known as The Loop Campus (located at interchange of I-10 and the 610 Loop). Pastor John retired in 2000 and Gregg Matte became the Senior Pastor in 2004 after a nearly four-and-a-half year search.
Houston’s First has continued to grow and as a church they seek new ways to reach people in the fourth largest city in the United States. In addition to The Loop, three campuses have been added throughout the greater Houston area – Cypress, Downtown, and Sienna. The Loop Campus averages about 4000 in weekly attendance whereas all the campuses combined are in the neighborhood of 7000 in combinded weekly attendance.
The heart of the leadership of Houston’s First is on display fulltime! It is evident they desire to reach the surrounding communities with the love and grace found in Jesus. Their up-to-date buildings are used for everything from bible studies to fitness (including a gymnasium, fitness center and even a bowling alley)! The people of Houston’s first are equipped with practical and relevant teaching from God’s Word and the congregation is challenged to live it out everyday of the week in their workplace, schools, families and places of interest.
Coming full circle from their start, they are known for their many local and global missions efforts and partnerships, as well as being invested in targeted ministries designed to meet people where they are. The Loop campus has a specific area designed for a growing ministry to special needs, in addition to specialilzed ministry to single parents, blended families, and adoptive and foster families. In addition, the church currently has two Faith Centers which serve in-need areas with ESL classes, food pantries, clothes closets, and more.
About the High School Pastor:
The High School Minister is responsible for creating and casting vision to the High School Students (9th-12th) while remaining under the umbrella of The HUB Student Ministry vision cast by the Student Minister. This person must be able to plan effective events, mission trips, and experiences for this age group that points students to Jesus. They must also organize and coordinate roles and responsibilities of adult volunteers for Life Bible Study, Wednesday Night activities, and other events involving these students. The High School Minister must also be active in ministering to the parents of high school students so that they can feel equipped to disciple and develop their student in growing with Jesus through the NextGen model, Grow@Home.
Purpose: To give leadership and structure to The HUB’s ministry to High School Students and their families. This is best accomplished by working closely with the Student Minister and team to accomplish The HUB Student Ministries vision to see students Gather, Grow, Give and Go in order to see students have King Hearts and live Kingdom Lives.
The High School Pastor’s Responsibilities Include:
- Work closely with the Student Minister to keep his vision and direction of the Student Ministry consistent across all grades.
- Dream for High School Students to come to know Christ, grow in their walk with Him, and then be equipped to go out and advance His Kingdom daily
- Equip parents of High School age students with opportunities to learn how to disciple their students through the NextGen Grow@Home Model
- Be available to counsel families and individual High School students
- Coordinate and execute programming on Wednesdays (Seven7) and Sundays (Life Bible Study)
- Lead and direct volunteers behind the vision and goals of The HUB Student Ministry
- Cultivate community with adult leaders & volunteers
- Be involved in High School students and families lives outside of the church building i.e. Campus Ministry, extracurricular activities, lunches, etc.
- Work well with all Student Ministry team members and Houston’s First Staff
- Organize and lead students in leadership growth and training within the vision of The HUB Student Ministry
- Build on-ramps for The HUB Student Ministry to be active and involved in High School’s across Houston
- Coordinate, plan, and execute The HUB Missions Pathway in association with our multisite Student Ministries.
- Facilitate meetings for special events, camps, retreats, and weekly services
- Partner with the Student Minister to develop new areas of growth and experiences for High School Students
- Preach weekly or involve others to do so
- Have a passion for students that drives tasks
What You Bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the High School Pastor:
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree – Required
Seminary Degree – Preferred
2-4 years of Student Ministry experience
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Maintain God-ordained priorities in your life by putting Jesus Christ first, your spouse second, your children third and the ministry fourth.
- Know and embody the church leadership behaviors.
- Must be a strong vibrant Christian who is Biblically sound and grounded in their faith.
- Excellent team player.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and events.
- Must be flexible and possess effective time management and organizational skills.
- A people person who has a genuine love for people and a desire to serve them.
- Ability to discern with wisdom and build relationships with staff and lay membership.
What it’s Like to Live in Houston, TX:
Houston is the fourth-largest city in the United States and the largest city in the state of Texas! It offers several nationally acclaimed restaurants, shopping centers, and events.
The city is the home of the Texas Medical Center, the world’s largest concentration of healthcare, research institutions, and NASA’s Johnson Space Center where the Mission Control Center is located.
Rated as a global city, Houston’s economy has a broad industrial base in energy, manufacturing, aeronautics, and transportation. It is also leading in health care sectors and building oilfield equipment; only New York City is home to more Fortune 500 headquarters. The city has a population with various ethnic and religious backgrounds and a large and growing international community. It is also home to many cultural institutions and exhibits in the Museum District, which attracts more than seven million visitors a year. There’s an active visual and performing arts scene in the Theater District and it offers opportunities to experience resident companies in all major performing arts genres in Houston throughout the year. Houston, Texas is a great place to call home, be surrounded by a great community of people, and raise a family.
To apply for this job please visit www.vanderbloemen.com.
Looking for a job with a Southern Baptist church?
Enter your information to be notified as new jobs are posted.